Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Laundry Soap

Ok, so for 18 years now I have been using only one kind of laundry soap, Tide Free. I found out at my high school graduation that I am allergic to other laundry detergents. I have tried all the other "free" soaps, and they all make me break out in hives. So, it is....Tide Free (expensive as can be) has been my one and only soap since then. Well, then my friend Sarah was telling me that she makes her own soap. WHAT?!?!?
I was skeptical at first, then she told me the savings she and her family have been enjoying and I couldn't resist the chance to at least try it. So, I got the ingredients, simple, there's only four. I spent about an hour in my kitchen with these ingredients and made my family soap.

You grate the bar of Zote Soap and add the Borax and Washing Soda... mix together with warm tap water and stir until it's all dissolved and mixed well. When you are done, it is enough to fill one 5 gallon bucket (and that's concentrated!!) You then have to dillute with 50% soap and 50% warm tap water.
So, I can pay over $10 a bottle for Tide Free a month, or just over $3 for 10 gallons of soap that will last easily 6 months or more. I still haven't broken out yet...hopefully I don't. If I do, then at least this soap can be used by the rest of the household and I can savor the Tide for me.
Here's a picture of the bucket o' soap!


No comments:

Leelou Blogs